Minutes of the Residents Public Meeting Saturday 27th July 2019

Chairperson welcomed everyone to the meeting and gave evacuation procedures.

Apologies; Cllr Susan Phillips, Amanda Nichols, Sgt. Guy Nicholas, Carmel Bending, Erika Sloper, Ben Antell, Peter Herbert, Chris Caley, Keith Johns, Mrs.Gillian Hart, Jamie Fish, Ruth Martindell, Sam Way and Cllr Jackie Edwards.

    Minutes from last meeting were proposed by Roy Patten and Seconded by Mrs. Payne

Matters arising from the minutes – none.

Chairperson introduced P.C. Joy Atkins and PCSO Susie Elliott who were able to give updates from previous concerns. Good news regarding motor bikes and excess noise at Redhill Park. A number of letters have been sent out and residents are pleased with the outcome. Our NPT are now concentrating on Slades Park.

Good results recently with two Warrants, Sept and April. This individual has been a challenge to deal with, as it appears to be a drug related situation in social housing accommodation. This will be a positive outcome in the near future.

Cllr Hedges welcomed neighbouring Cllr Karen Rampton of Talbot Woods Ward and Cllr Stephen Bartlett who represents Redhill and Northbourne with Cllr Jackie Edwards, who was unable to attend this meeting today.

Cllr Hedges praised the local NPT over recent issues with motorcycles on Slades Park and the antisocial behaviour within the area. The response and engagement of the Neighbourhood Policing Team has been very encouraging with Active Dorset, Parks Dept and Talbot Village Trust. The director of TVT Daryl Tidd is aware of the access points, to and from the park, which are causing some problems. There is progress being made on this matter.

Re:  Vehicle Vandalism – Beswick Avenue has been highlighted and this is being monitored by local residents who are concerned about the area they are living in. The Area Forum Meetings are a success in highlighting residents’ issues.

Public Toilets – Cllr Hedges has been in communication with Aldi hoping to secure the opening of the public toilets in Old Mulberry Close after presenting a petition. This involved the signatures of 150 individuals who regularly visit the store.

`Litter Picking` has been taking place within our ward spearheaded by The Mayor, Cllr Susan Phillips and Cllr Nigel Hedges. Hundreds of bottles, 3 knives, bags of dogs mess and an ironing board were amongst the haul this time. The good news is that these areas are now on the Council’s Radar.

Recently we lost a number of trees in our ward due to felling, including a 100 year old oak. There seemed to be no preservation order in place which seems a shame when trees are so valuable. Cllr Hedges has concerns in this respect and plans to communicate with officials on these matters. A resident raised concerns about parking difficulties in the area and asked why the students aren’t parking at BU. This is an ongoing issue since Cllr Hedges was elected as a representative to our ward. Cllr Hedges informed the meeting that BU is encouraging students to use public transport. There were various ideas suggested. 

Heavily focused on ASB and ‘Cuckooing’ and organised Crime which is an issue in Dorset due to exploitation from outside our County. Recently, residents informed Dorset Police of concerns which resulted in a successful result.

 ASB in Forsythe Gardens following concerns from residents, experienced a successful result recently, at a particular address. The council are now taking steps with the intention of an eviction.

Slades Park  – ASB on motorcycles.  Police patrol the Park as often as possible. Registrations are really helpful and this proved productive at Redhill Park.  Letters issued have proved successful. Some motorcycles are not displaying registration plates and there are many exits creating a challenge for Police Officers to arrest offenders. A Traffic Officer has helped with suggestions, and recommendations have now been discussed to try and resolve these issues. Signs are now in place at Slades Park informing motorcyclists of section 59. Help from residents who witness ASB activities should inform the Police, with dates, times, registrations and clothing. They should inform by email on 101@dorset.pnn.police.uk  This will enable the police to act on these concerns when they have a number of sightings  identifying any individuals.   Email is a far more productive approach to informing police of non urgent matters, the alternative is by phoning 101, but you must be patient!

A resident suggested that maybe the camera sited on the car park could be focused towards the area where motorcyclists and other groups congregate. There would be a record of activities, which may include drug dealing.

Chairperson introduced Cllr Nigel Hedges.

Cllr Hedges thanked residents for taking a keen interest in their particular areas and said that both he and Cllr Susan Phillips are committed to supporting these ward meetings for continued two way information, which assists with any issues that need to be heard. With the Local Government Reorganisation some Ward Boundaries have changed within the BCP Council.

Cllr Hedges requested emails from residents to him and Cllr Phillips on their concerns so that they can pursue them between meetings.

 Talbot Village Association expressed the success of residents coming together in large numbers and with the help of ward Councillors. A positive result was achieved, an 80% response from a local survey in respect of road safety where they live.

The residents living in Daws Avenue, Priestly Road and Kingsbere Avenue are likely to notice an increase in traffic due to the Wallisdown Road improvements over the next few months. Please be aware of the traffic calming on these roads, speeding could cause damage to the vehicle.

Cllr Hedges gave his thanks to the residents in attendance and for their contributions in the discussions on various ward issues.

Chairperson thanked Cllr Hedges and announced that we have an the A.G.M. Chairperson informed the meeting that all three Committee Officers are willing to continue with the Area Forum until the next  AGM as there were no other nominations. There was a unanimous support from the residents.

The Chairperson introduced Guest Speakers

  Graham and JuneTuffin from Talbot Village Community Speed Watch.

Graham explained that this is an American idea and that they set up here in 2013 with Dorset Police. The objective of the scheme is for driver awareness on driving where pedestrians are present. Speed can kill.   The teams are run by volunteers with the support of Dorset Police. This scheme is helpful in a number of ways. It assists the Police with intelligence on motoring in general.  In Local areas, residents respect that something is being done to reduce speed. There are 66 teams in Dorset. The Community Speed Watch Team collaborates between Residents, Parish Councils and Police. The team for a survey to record the speed of traffic in a chosen area requires just three or four people. If a driver is travelling more than 35 mph in a Speed Watch Survey, they will receive a response from Dorset Police.

 Graham introduced his wife June to continue with the presentation. June explained the logistics of the Watches and the equipment used to log and record speeds. She also emphasised that the safety of volunteers and drivers was very important. June also gave lots of helpful information on the practicalities of running a Speed Watch Team. Both Graham and June offered to help any new groups wishing to set up a team and suggested coming along to see their Team in action in the future.

Chairperson thanked Graham and June for their presentation.

The Chairperson asked Cllr. Stephen Bartlett who informed the residents that the bus stop on the junction of Redhill Drive and Coombe Avenue will to be relocated to make it more `user` friendly.  Templeman House previously a Care Home has now closed and is boarded up. He is on the understanding that it could be demolished for new homes, but this has yet to be decided.

Cllr. Karen Rampton was pleased to have been invited to the meeting and that it was very informative and would like to attend future RPMs’.

Chairperson thanked both Cllr’s and residents for their contribution to the meeting. He closed the meeting at 12.10.

Next meeting Saturday19th October 2019 at 10.30 am in The Rooper Hall.

Minutes of the RESIDENTS PUBLIC MEETING Saturday 18TH May 2019

The Chairperson introduced Clive Nelson of Active Dorset, who welcomed everyone to the meeting in the new Slades Farm Pavilion. Although we are holding this public meeting today, the official opening will be Bank Holiday Monday 27th May 2019.

Clive explained to everyone that the new Slades Farm Pavilion is for the residents in the area and also residents within the new BCP Council. The future of the Pavilion is to be occupied by volunteers organising outside sports. The Pavilion will be closely monitored with a security system. Clive highlighted the Fire Exits from the building in the event of an incident. He informed the residents that the building had been relocated from London a year ago and the BCP Council have given Active Dorset a 30 year lease. The future sports, football, cricket and cycling are the future activities at Slades Farm supported by Active Dorset and BCP Council.

The lighting up of Slades Farm and around the Pavilion also the Skate Park is a challenge. The choice is to floodlight all night long or is darkness a better choice?

APOLOGIES: Cllr Nigel Hedges, Chris Caley, Alan Perkins, Erika Sloper and Peter Herbert (Head of St. Johns School.)

Minutes of previous meeting were accepted and proposed by Cllr Susan Philips, 2nd by Mrs Sylvia Blunt.

Cllr Nigel Hedges report was read out by Cllr Susan Phillips on his behalf.

There are copies available that Cllr Hedges wished you to take home with you.

The complete document will be on our website.

Cllr Susan Phillips paid tribute to Cllr Nicola Greene for all her work and dedication to the ward, help and assistance from when she became a

Cllr in 2011. Since the restructuring of the three Councils into BCP Council, Cllr Nicola Greene, who was one of our Ward Councillors under BBC, is now an elected Councillor in the BCP Council.

Cllr Susan Phillips mentioned the CIF (Community Improvement Fund) and informed the residents that suggestions would be welcomed for improvements in our ward. I.E. water fountain outside the Pavilion with a doggy bowl for thirsty dogs!

Cllr Susan Phillips was asked if there are active Dog Wardens within the BCP Council. Dog poo is a big problem on Slades Farm, a resident highlighted that an estimation of 200 dogs a day use Slades Farm Open Spaces and Cllr Susan Phillips informed the residents that we only have one Dog Warden in the BCP Council so it’s impossible to be everywhere at the same time. We need to re-educate the public. Possibly volunteers. Cllr Susan Phillips referred to litter picking with Cllr Nigel Hedges where several empty spirit bottles were found in the bushes. Cllr Susan Phillips added that she and Cllr Nigel Hedges are willing to do a litter pick if needed. Last year local residents did a litter pick on Slades Farm due to the large amount of plastic left behind in an untidy fashion. Cllr Susan Phillips informed the residents that if similar `litter picks’ are organised, and we have informed the Council, they can arrange for the litter to be collect. A resident commented that there is a lack of bins. Cllr Susan Phillips added that she had a bin secured near the Skate Park which was burnt out within 2 nights. Suggestion of suitable bins were given. The cost of these bins can cost thousands of pounds, especially if you require more bins within the new BCP Council.

Parking meters that have been installed in the Slades Farm Car Park were vandalised within a few weeks at a cost of, £1,000 per meter to be refurbished.

A resident commented on speed limit zones in Poole of 20 mph and was interested to know if there were any plans to extend these within Bournemouth. Glenmoor Road residents experience cars speeding through to the University. The only response to suggestions of traffic calming is based on statistics such as”fatalities”.

Graffiti was highlighted, by one of the residents on the pavements from Boundary Road and Talbot Rise, also near to the Velodrome.

Suggested Improvements to the Conservation Area footpath, between Talbot Rise to St Marks as promised. Would any CIF money be available to improve as there are tripping hazards with tree roots?

Cllr Susan Phillips has noted this.

A resident asked for drains to be cleared in Hazel Ave, Kingsbere Ave and Forsythe Gdns due to flooding when there is a heavy rain fall.

Priestly Rd / Columbia Trees Lane ‘rat – run’ is very dangerous as cars are using this as cut through from Columbia Rd. It was hoped that the

Pedestrian Crossing installed on Columbia Rd would help this situation. Commercial vehicles don’t seem to take any notice of `speed ramps’.

High speed on Columbia Rd is another issue some cars are going through red lights at pedestrian crossings.

In Regard of vehicles travelling in Columbia Trees Lane, officers have been present, but have not witnessed speeding.

Cllr Susan Phillips will revisit and ask for their presence between

7.30 – 9.00 a.m. Monday to Friday.

Is it now illegal to Park on pavements?

Police Officers present informed residents that yellow lines are the responsibility of BCP Council. Parking on pavements is a Police matter where they will issue a Parking Ticket for this Offence if they are aware. Cars should not park within 5-10 metres of a corner at any junction. A resident inquired on the New BCP Council whether they have more resources now that three councils have merged into one. There is a telephone number for reporting problem parking; 01202 451199 or online to save time.

A possible reason for traffic problems could be the work on the A338 having a knock on effect. A leaflet is available, My Safer Bournemouth, has helpful information online.

Its felt some traffic problems are due to cars being driven by students to and from Bournemouth University and parking in Ensbury Avenue Monday to Friday.

The general consensus is that we need restrictive parking on one side of Ensbury Avenue during the hours of 8 a.m. until 4 p.m. Monday – Friday from the junction of Gorscliffe Road to Slades Farm Road.

Beswick Avenue and Gorscliffe junction is a race track from 7.30 a.m. during the school year. A resident’s car has been hit twice by staff members travelling to school. The resident is requesting traffic calming along Beswick Avenue for two reasons, the junction with Gorscliffe Road and the vulnerability of vehicles parked both sides of the road towards the school entrance.

Mr. Darryl Tidd and Mr. Richard Henshaw from Talbot Village Trust discussed plans for White Farm. Talbot Village Trust is a charity which owns the woodland and St Marks School. The Charity has donated up to £1 million in any one year to local causes and consider requests for local projects.

Regarding White Farm originally owned by the trust late 1800’s was purchased by the council. Now the buildings are the responsibility of Talbot Village Trustees. Following an open consultation there is a plan to accommodate a supported living scheme. This will provide independent

unit living for adults with learning difficulties. This is yet to be concluded and developments will take its course as it evolves. There will be limited traffic in and out. The only personnel visiting would be staff and carers. There are ongoing consultations with the council regarding footpaths, tree roots and restoring the building to its original appearance of the early 1900’s.

A resident inquired about the 10 year old plan.

PCSO Police Sgt Kennie Wilson and PCSO Roslyn Curtis attended the meeting to update on reports of motorcycles reported racing around Slades Farm Open Spaces. They gave statistical comparisons from last year and this year for antisocial activities with motorcycles. Our Police team will endeavour to focus on antisocial behaviour with the expectations of elimination. They wish to express the importance of recording all incidents involving antisocial behaviour by emailing: mysaferbournemouth.com or email 101

Residents raised the following matters with them on drug dealing, thefts from allotments and antisocial behaviour such as illegal substances being smoked in the allotments. The Police are keen to get on top of this.

Residents can take a picture of vehicle registration numbers which can then be acted on. The My Safer Bournemouth leaflet will have telephone numbers, email addresses and Facebook information for all the necessary contacts for any incidents.

The Chairperson thanked the Sgt Kennie Wilson and PC Roslyn Curtis for their contribution to the meeting and thanking all attendees for their contributions to the meeting as well.

Meeting closed at 12.05 p.m.

Next meeting will be Saturday 27th July 2019 at Ensbury Park Community Centre

Report and Personal Message from Cllr Nigel P. Hedges for the WWW Public Forum 18.5.2019 :

Please accept my apologies for being unavailable for this meeting which is perhaps the first I have ‘missed’ in the four years since I was first elected as a new Councillor for the Wallisdown and Winton West Ward of Bournemouth Council.

With the great news that Cllr Susan Phillips and myself have been re-elected ( Susan for her third term ) , I have to first pay tribute to Cllr Nicola Greene who now represents Westbourne Ward but her heart and indeed emotions are still with us and she has done so much to assist us in the past and going forward to represent such a great and beloved Ward for which Susan and myself care passionately.

It was the promise that accompanied the long awaited ‘local government reorganisation’ that “the Residents would notice no difference” and to that end , both of us have ensured our Ward ‘case work’ continues seamlessly with no lacking in energy or application.

In fact , it was a huge asset ( despite the huge physical challenge ) to ‘canvass’ hundreds of Residents about any “issues” that were troubling or concerning them and from litter picks , gully clearances , yellow lines , lighting repairs , litter and untaxed vehicle enforcement , we have been able to keep the Bournemouth and now BCP Council officers very busy indeed and they too have excelled in our expectations despite the organisational challenges over the last few months.

Judicial use of our ‘Local Improvement Fund’ monies along with the ‘Community Infrastructure Levy’ funds allotted to our Ward following consultations , support and evidencing from our valued and ever vigilant Residents in so many of our more prominent and ‘well represented’ roads has allowed us to tailor our bids to benefit residents and remedy situations and circumstances that cause , at best , inconvenience……..

The jewel that is Slades Park benefits from drinking fountains for dogs and dog walkers alike to our amazing new Active Dorset pavilion which will improve accessibility , use and community spirit for a wide ranging area of our Ward.

Again , Cllr Phillips’ vision and having listened to Residents for the best part of a decade affords her a ‘local touch’ most of us can only envy. I am by her standards still the apprentice !

We have addressed issues concerning and around our schools ( from litter , to dangerous parking – a long promised , ongoing and “to be continued” campaign from which we as local Councillors will not flinch or flag ) , issues around ‘homes of multiple occupancy’ ( speaking against Planning and succeeding in the latest case ) and the social issues that can emanate from these properties.

The major roadworks scheme for Wallisdown Road sees us attempting to prepare not only our Residents but our highways infrastructure for the change of flow and pinch points when contra-flows and the inevitable delays oblige drivers to seek ‘cut throughs’ where speed limits and safe driving must be brought to the forefront of their attention by whatever means necessary. We will be listing and watching and in constant touch with the BCP Council Highways department and our Road Safety Team to ensure no-one suffers from frustrations manifesting themselves in less than careful conduct of all motor vehicles in our Ward.

One major part of the new Council’s policy , the ‘Empty Homes Strategy’ , will see me reporting and checking on domestic properties that seem to be unoccupied or even abandoned for no apparent reason over extended time periods and I am gathering reports of such in WWW Ward to submit and monitor to the relevant BCP Officers. New charging mechanisms and compulsory purchase of

abandoned properties are now within our powers and have been exercised to advantage rehoming deserving families in other Wards.

Certain roads gain our attention more and more. Kingsbere Avenue , Hazell Avenue , Glenmoor Close ( obviously ! ) but Glenmoor Road , Nicholas Gardens , Vicarage Road , Hood Crescent , Bascott Road , Walliscott Road and Daws Avenue now compete for our attention with engaged and active Residents who deliver the thoughts , observations and , yes , ‘demands’ , of their neighbours and fellow Residents with persistence and regularity – and we as local Councillors , can only encourage that and indeed welcome it. Forsyth Gardens has come in for recent attention with a range of issues most of which have been or are being tackled. It is yet another area where your local Councillors have , indeed , “put their backs into it” ( along with support from the Police and Bournemouth Council who now have the Agency powers for the DVLA – hence so many cars now wearing DVLA yellow wheel clamps and more than one have been removed and crushed ).

Parking on corners and the subsequent restricted ‘sight-lines’ continue to trouble Residents and your local Councillors have had several ‘accident statistic updates’ in the last year which whilst recording a modest number of ‘incidents’ , we will always maintain that even ONE is too many………

Litter Picks around the Ward and on its borders saw dozens of bags of rubbish and major clearances working with other Ward Councillors ( one even found a five pound note which was donated to the Mayor’s Charity , the Bournemouth Leukaemia Fund ). The volunteer group called ‘The Dorset Devils’ continue to do good work across the Borough and Bascott Lane joining Wallisdown Road has come to our attention ; alas , at present , it is “not adopted” so efforts are being made to keep this pedestrian cut-through monitored and cleared on a regular basis.

Amongst our ‘election pledges’ was the ambition to expand our Council’s “Street Champions” , our litter wardens who could and should be more integrated and known by our Residents to see them even more responsive to litter and alike issues.

We also are extremely keen to keep our Public Forums and Action Group meeting to continue and to expand their membership , attendance and ‘reach’ and along with thanking our Council officers who support these meetings we would like to thank all the volunteers , led by our Chair , Mr Bernie Culver and his ‘officers’ who organise , publicise and facilitate these invaluable community groups to whom we are happy to report and present ourselves as ‘answerable’ four or more times per year.

Thank you for your time , interest and support not only for these meetings but for your willingness to communicate with us on the widest range of issues.

Assuring you of our attention at all times.

Cllr Nigel P. Hedges.

Update for Slades Farm Community Garden

Here are the latest dates, and I have attached a nice photo. Please let me know if there is any more info that you’d like.


MonthDayDateStartEnd
AprilSaturday13/04/201910:0012:00
AprilSaturday27/04/201910:0012:00
MaySunday05/05/201910:0012:00
MaySaturday25/05/201910:0012:00
JuneSaturday01/06/201910:0012:00
JuneSaturday22/06/201910:0012:00
JulySaturday13/07/201910:0012:00
JulySaturday27/07/201910:0012:00
SeptemberSaturday07/09/201910:0012:00
SeptemberSaturday28/09/201910:0012:00
OctoberSaturday05/10/201910:0012:00
OctoberSaturday19/10/201910:0012:00
NovemberSaturday09/11/201910:0012:00
NovemberSaturday23/11/201910:0012:00
DecemberSaturday07/12/201910:0012:00

Theresa

Theresa McManus

Slades Farm Community Garden Project Coordinator

T  :  07958 138053

W:  http://transitionbournemouth.org.uk/

F  :  Slades Farm Conservation Group

❤ your locality? Skills required

❤ your locality? The Local Area Forum is looking for new Committee members.  As a Group we inform residents about local matters and seek to influence Council decisions.  There are four Public meetings on Saturday mornings and four Committee meetings each year.  Whatever your skills we will be happy to use them for the benefit of local residents.  Meet people and enjoy yourself.  For more information either email us at contactus@wwwepaf.org.uk  or phone our Chairperson Bernie on 07553 276089.